I went for the grungy look when I did this card. I used the distressing kit over the background stamp En Francais. I used basic black and very vanilla card and basic black ink.
It is not obvious in this photograph but I first stamped in Versamark and used black embossing powder. I stamped the image again and embossed in the same way. I then, with the 1" punch punched out the clock centre and put acetate behind and then adhered with dimensionals so that the clock face looked like glass. It looks quite effective in real life. The black stripe on the side is actually the black satin ribbon. The sentiment is from the stamp set Happiest Birthday Wishes.